Top Saunas For Home Use Reviewed
You might associate saunas with spas and leisure centers, but thanks to some innovative companies, saunas are now just as suitable to the home as, say, hot tubs, and can be delivered directly to your door.
Saunas aren’t just about relaxation either. Research suggests that they may also be beneficial to health because of their ability to force the release of heat shock proteins which put the body into repair mode. And the sweating you do inside a sauna gives you some of the same benefits as sweat generated from a workout, but without the strenuous activity.
Chances are you’re not yet familiar with the home sauna market. We’re not talking about home saunas where a team of contractors builds a new room in your home for that purpose, but self-contained units you can buy online and have delivered, ready to go.
Some may require some assembly, while others are simple portable kits that you can even take with you from one place to another. There are some excellent options available that will work with almost any budget.
Sauna Comparison Table
We go over each of the units in our roundup of top in-home saunas in detail below, but for those in a hurry here is a quick comparison of the saunas we looked at:
Best Home Saunas
Choosing the best home sauna for you isn’t a straightforward decision, so we’ve put together a list of five models that you’ll want to consider, each with a unique appeal. Here are our picks for the top home saunas to choose from:
The build quality of the JNH is second-to-none and is backed by a two-year warranty. As far as heating up goes, the unit does its job well with help from the infrared lights dotted throughout the cabin.
As with any sauna of this size and complexity, there are problems. Perhaps the main gripe is the fact that the control panel only displays the temperature that you have set, not the actual temperature in the spa, which could confuse some people. The control panel itself, is not particularly durable either, with the membrane buttons tending to stick after repeated use.
Although it is commendable that JNH had the foresight to include speakers with the Lifestyles Joyous sauna, they will likely disappoint audiophiles out there. Mid is lacking, and they’re crackly when pushed to higher volume.
Finally, the weather seal on the door (which keeps the heat and humidity inside the sauna) is made of a type of rubber which fatigues quickly. If you use this sauna regularly, then there’s a chance that you’ll need to maintain or replace it with something better within the first 18 months of use.
Many of these gripes are, in fact, minor issues when you consider what JNH has delivered here overall. The Lifestyles Joyous is a unique product with some interesting quality-of-life additions and exceptional styling.
- Outfitted with seven (7) carbon fiber far Infrared heaters, strategically placed to provide full coverage
- Crafted from 100% Canadian Hemlock wood; all wood is chemical-free (untreated & unstained)
- 2 Premium speakers with Bluetooth capabilities and a remote with an on/off button and volume controls
- Simplified digital control panel, no overcomplicated interface; just adjust the temperature, set the duration and enjoy
- Extremely easy assembly process; if you have a screwdriver, then you can assemble a jinn sauna
The quality of the finish on the SA2412DX is higher than most people expect. Although this is a portable unit, Sante Fe hasn’t cut corners in its choice of materials. The SA2412DX is made of pure hemlock, both in the interior and exterior paneling, providing that traditional sauna feel.
Taller customers may not enjoy the Santa Fe as much as they expect, however, thanks to the low head clearance. Although large compared to many home units, it’s clear that Sante Fe expects customers stoop down when they enter the sauna and spend the majority of time sitting. People over about five foot and five inches won’t be able to stand fully upright and must sit for the duration of their stay in the sauna.
People who want their sauna to get up to temperature quickly may also struggle with the SA2412DX. Although the unit has no trouble eventually reaching higher temperatures, it can take around 60 minutes to do so. Sante Fe compromised, trading a higher quality finish for slightly weaker heaters.
Because of the impressive internal space afforded by the SA2412DX, this is a home sauna for people who want to take saunas at home in groups. There are both two- and four-person versions which both come with a similar feature set. There may, however, be better options for those who prefer to take their saunas alone.
- 3 Person Corner Hemlock Infrared Sauna with 7 Carbon Heaters
- Dual interior and exterior LED control panels, Color Mood Light
- CD Player w/mp3 plug-in, Backrests, Magazine Rack & Towel Hooks
- Operate up to 141 degrees F. - 1740 Watts - Oxygen Ionizer
- Solid Hemlock wood w/tongue & groove assembly
The sauna is attractive to behold. It is a full-height cubicle, complete with glass panel door and comfortable interior seating. There is plenty of connectivity for listening to music, two speakers, a radio and interior reading lights.
The main draw of the Medical 4 Full Spectrum, however, is the ability to set it up for yoga. Unlike many of the other saunas in this review, the seats in the Full Spectrum fold up, providing extra space for your favorite yoga poses. Given the medical advantages of daily yoga (something that has been shown to reverse some chronic diseases when combined with a healthful diet), you can see why Medical opted for this particular design.
The glass paneling encompasses three sides of the sauna, giving you an impression of space when you sit inside. And the medical symbols on the door make you feel as if you’re doing something beneficial.
Are there any downsides? Perhaps the only major issue with the Medical 4 is the lack of space for more than two people. Other than that, it offers people precisely what they want from a home sauna: an attractive, energy-efficient unit with plenty of heating options, media connections, and comfortable seating.
No products found.
The hilariously named FIR-Real Portable Far Infrared Sauna does precisely that: offers users a sauna experience but without the hefty price tag.
First thing’s first: this sauna is not made from pure Canadian hemlock, and you don’t walk in as you do with the saunas we’ve looked at so far. Instead, you sit inside it and zip it up around you, before turning it on using the conveniently-placed control panel.
Perhaps the most significant benefit of the FIR-Real Portable Far Infrared Sauna is the fact that it heats up almost immediately, taking around one minute to get up to temperature, rather than the 30 to 60 minutes of some of the more expensive models. There’s also the fact that taking delivery of it is much easier than of, say, the Medical 4, which weighs more than 550 pounds.
Of course, you get what you pay for. The FIR-Real Portable Far Infrared Sauna zippers tend to peel away from the fabric under certain conditions. And although the heat production is excellent, you may need to carry out your own repairs on the material after a few uses.
So, in summary, the FIR-Real Portable Far Infrared Sauna is an ideal home sauna of sorts for people who want something inexpensive that will give them a premium spa experience in the privacy of their own home. It doesn’t have any of the bells and whistles of the Sante Fe or the JNH, but for the price, you wouldn’t expect it to.
- As Seen on ABC’s The View TV Show
- HEALTHandMED's Portable Sauna Provides full FIR heat output in 1 minute (Not 10 minutes like most FIR saunas)
- Includes two powerful 800W ceramic heaters (1600W total)
- Ideal Temperature Range, between 160°F to 175°F, for activating blood and lymph circulation and metabolism. This is the warmest sauna that we offer.
- 41 in. height allows a tall person to enjoy it. Other portable FIR saunas are 10% shorter — only 37 in. tall.
Although the Medical 4 touts itself as a healing device, the much more affordable SereneLife offers practically the same benefits without the hefty premium. The SereneLife is beautifully-designed and heats up quickly (within a few minutes). However, this may come at a cost. EMF readings are higher than some people are prepared to tolerate.
The zippers are another potential problem. As with the FIR-Real, they can sometimes break or tear away from the surrounding fabric.
With that said, the SereneLife offers excellent value for money. Not only is the sauna portable, but it also includes a chair, automatic heat settings, a timer, and a remote. The SereneLife is for people who want the convenience of a lightweight sauna but without the hefty price tag.
- #1 PERSONAL SAUNA: Can’t get to the spa but want to experience the benefits of sauna therapy? No problem This indoor sauna kit comes with everything you need to get your sauna on in the comfort of your own home
- PORTABLE SAUNA UNIT: Have a mobile beauty spa or want to move your sauna dome from one room to another? Our infrared sauna is conveniently portable You can pick it up or pack it up when need
- ENJOY AND RELAX: Use this sauna to relax after a day of work, while reading books, listening to music, play on your mobile phone, watch movies and so on
- INCLUDES SAUNA CHAIR: While other saunas require you to build your own sauna room using your own stool or chair, our portable sauna comes with a comfortable (and foldable) sauna chair
- SAVE MONEY ON BEAUTY SALON : the mini sauna room can service for a long time and save your money to pay to beauty salon shop
If you are handy at woodworking, check out this YouTube video that walks you through building your own home sauna:
Also, if you want a sauna but need to use it in more than one location, check out our best portable saunas review.
Last Updated on