The Top 10 Pomades for Men Reviewed Reviewed
You may be surprised to learn that pomade was originally made from mashed apples, and got its name from the fruit.
But if you are reading this, it is likely that what you really want to know is how a pomade differs from other hair products. In this article we’ll explain that, and also give you a list of the top pomade products available on the market today.
First, pomades come in both petroleum or water-based and are fatty ingredients to help produce a shine and hold your hair in place. Water-based pomades are easier to wash out and more natural, which means they are better for your scalp than petroleum products. The petroleum pomades tend to hold better but are often more difficult to wash out later and not as good for the scalp.
Finally, pomades are thicker than gels, and best for people who want to achieve a shiny, neat, or slick hairdo like you would have seen in the fifties. Pomades also do not dry out or harden on your hair, so your hair can remain in place but still pliable if necessary. Both gel and hairsprays tend to become stiff and don’t move after applied. For a classic man, a pomade is the only option available, and we found the ten best options from traditional to organic and saved you hours of research.
The Best Pomades For Men
Get perfectly styled hair with Don Juan Hybrido Pomade as it gives all-day stronghold and a medium shine. Activate this pomade with a little bit of water to get the full benefits from this nourishing ointment. Bring plant extracts and dead sea minerals to your hair with this unique pomade.
The small jar comes filled with four ounces of balm to help you coif your hair to your exact specification without taking away the flexibility of your hair. It comes with a slight summer seat breeze scent to pair with the water base. Also, the product uses plant extracts, dead sea minerals, jojoba oil, and green tea extract to help nourish your hair while providing an all-day hold. However, this product does contain a paraben, which can cause problems, and many people who prefer natural ingredient prefer to avoid.
To use simply rub a small amount of the product on your palm and rub around a bit to spread evenly through your hair and create your style. Reactivate its hold with a quick bit of water on a comb or your hand and comb or brush as often as you like. It’s suitable for all hair types and won’t irritate your scalp.
- Enriched with natural plant extracts and Dead Sea minerals to nurture your hair
- Gives you Strong Hold with Medium Shine that will last all day
- Gives you complete control over the way you style your hair
- Water Based Pomade to increase your hold
- Water based pomade and can be easily washed out with water
The low priced Viking Revolution Pomade provides firm hold and high shine for men who want a slicked-back look. It’s a water-based male grooming product meant to wash out without trouble. Now you can have the exact hair you want without clumped hair without thick spots falling all over the place.
Create pompadours, slick backs, or side parts with ease or choose a modern casual, formal, classic, or even messy hairstyle. All this and no harsh chemicals to weigh your hair down or bother your scalp. If you don’t like the product, just contact the company, and they will take care of you as they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
If you have unruly hair that needs a little bit of help to behave properly, then you might just need the Viking experience. You don’t need to worry about ‘helmet hair’ or crusty residue like you might get with gel or hair spray. However, the brand does offer a few parabens which natural-loving folks won’t like.
- EASILY STYLE YOUR HAIR: Viking Revolution Firm Hold Pomade provides the strong hold needed to finish that modern, casual, formal, classic, slick or messy hair style you want.
- CREATE ANY LOOK: The hair pomade is great for pompadours, slick backs and side parts. Get a high shine finish without the helmet hair look, you'll look like you just left the barber.
- WATER SOLUBLE: We’ve made a hair styling product that’s easy to rinse out! Our men’s pomade also contains castor oil which has natural compounds that promote hair growth.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS: With a light smell and natural ingredients, the pomade leaves your hair feeling healthy after use, unlike other grooming products which can leave your hair dry or damaged.
- THE VIKING GUARANTEE: All Viking products come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee - just contact us if for any reason you’re not happy with your purchase.
Men with sensitive skin will love the all-natural unorthodox pomade by Battle Born Grooming Company. The water-based pomade comes scented in bay rum in a four-ounce jar to provide months of hairstyling without hard, clumpy hair. With this product, you get a firm hold and a natural shine to last all day long.
The best part of this low satin finish product is no creepy ingredients. The ingredients include water, jojoba oil, meadowfoam seed oil, candelilla wax, shea butter, avocado seed oil, castor seed oil, and vitamin E oil. No parabens, or sulfates to irritate your scalp or potentially cause toxic problems just natural goodness in a light-blocking bottle for longer shelf life. It also provides a masculine scent without battling with your deodorant or cologne.
This pomade is so strong, you can go to bed, wake up, and restyle your hair with a comb without fighting your hair. Of course, you will want to apply more after shampooing your locks. It also comes out easily in the shower with your normal shampoo and conditioning steps. A few customers had issues washing the pomade out of their hair; if you have the same problem, try using a vinegar rinse to remove without any issues and follow with your shampoo and conditioner.
- Firm hold, natural shine (a nice, low satin finish).
- Enjoy the the style ability of an oil based pomade without the difficulty of washing the product out.
- We make our pomade with ethically sourced all-natural ingredients that are either certified organic, wildcrafted, or pesticide-free. Our pomade contains no parabens, petrochemicals, artificial colors, or animal derived ingredients.
- Great for all hair types.
- All ingredients are carefully sourced from farms and growers that meet our specific criteria.
If you want a simple and effective hold, you need the Marlowe Original Pomade for Men. Their Number 170 formula offers a medium to stronghold and a slick finish with top-performing ingredients without creepy chemicals. The pomade was made right here in America and wasn’t tested on animals.
The water-based pomade goes on easy by placing a small amount onto the palms of your hand and work into your hair with your fingers. After applying, style your hair as you normally do, and the ointment will hold your hair in place all day long. Use a wet comb to reactivate if necessary. Customers love this dark brown ointment, but it does only come in a two-ounce size.
Next, you can enjoy natural ingredients that will nourish your hair as well as hold it in place. Those ingredients like passionflower extract, which adds vitamin C and iron, green tea for antioxidants and cell repair, willow bark for calming properties, and deep-sea algae for soothing ability. The well-loved pomade features in several men’s magazines as the perfect choice for all hairstyles.
- SIMPLE & EFFECTIVE HOLD: Looking for a simple hair gel or pomade for daily use? Look no further - MARLOWE. No. 170 Original Water based Pomade has you covered with a medium to strong hold and slick finish.
- MADE WITH THE BEST PERFORMING INGREDIENTS: Don't put just anything in your hair. MARLOWE is water-based and made with high quality elements precisely crafted to give you the best possible performance.
- EASY TO USE: Rub a small amount onto palms of hands and work with fingers. Apply to hair and style as desired. You do you.
- WORKS WITH YOUR STYLE: Whether you're going for the pomp, side-part, or slick-back, this pomade has the medium to strong performance you need for all-day hold.
- BACKED BY THE MARLOWE PROMISE: Try it - if you don't love it, we'll make it right - no questions asked!
Do you prefer organic ingredients for your skin and scalp? Try the Strong Hold Pomade for Men by Rodante. Make the perfect pompadour, slick backs, or side parts with this three times the hold thick cream. The water-soluble formula allows you to remove the product from your hair without issues, just wash your hair like normal and condition then re-apply as needed.
You already know the ingredients are organic, but they are also free of parabens, MIT, and 100% vegan making this the right choice for health-conscious men. Instead, you will find ingredients like organic mallow flower, lemon peel, burdock root, and horsetail fern. All of these work together to encourage hair growth, revitalize the scalp, and nourish the roots, though thick hair may need more products to keep their hair in place.
Use this pomade on wet or dry hair, and on all hair types remembering only a dab will do, you don’t need a lot of product! This is good as the product comes in a two-ounce TSA approved container so you can take it with you when you travel so you can keep your all-natural shine and hold. The Rodante brand prides themselves on natural products with the ability to make hair pliable, smooth, and offers a high-gloss shine without flakes and no matter the weather.
- STRONG HOLD: Extra firm grip for styling the perfect pompadours, sexy slick backs and stunning side parts. Combs in with ease for maximum styling flexibility. Water-soluble for easy removal whenever you decide to call it.
- ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Contains certified organic extracts of Mallow Flower, Lemon Peel, Burdock Root, and Horsetail Fern that condition and increase shine. No parabens, no MIT, and 100% Vegan!
- HEALTHY HAIR: Locks in moisture with a specially formulated plant-derived humectant while also rejuvenating hair for pliability, smoothness, and a high-gloss shine. Flexible enhancers help prevent flaking, resist humidity, and provide long lasting definition and style memory.
- TSA APPROVED: Convenient 2 oz travel-size container for incredible hair, everywhere. People will think you have a celebrity hairstylist traveling with you! Fits in your carry-on luggage, backpack, or other small bags so you can style your hair on the go.
Buck’s Burley Pomade for men offers a medium hold to give our hair control without stiffness so you can run your hands through your locks without ruining your style. Every time you use this product, you will get a perfect sleek finish without clumps or residue and a manly sandalwood scent with a twist.
With this pomade, you get something unique besides hair hold, you get a pheromone boosting serum to attract others to you with a long-lasting clean scent everyone will love, and it’s still all-natural. The pomade comes in a three-ounce black jar, which means you can take it on an airplane, and it washes out easily no matter what you use to get the job done.
The formula helps to thicken your hair and reduce frizz too. It acts as a moisturizer or leave-in conditioner while adding volume without creepy ingredients. Also, it restores and rebuilds hair follicles to help hair grow, even curly or wavy hair, not just straight hair. Finally, it gives you hold with all-natural ingredients including Aragon oil, avocado oil, carotene, castorlatum, cocoa seed butter, jojoba, shea butter, sunflower seed, almond oil, and vitamin E for tons of health benefits for your scalp and hair.
- Control your hair with zero stiffness and a sleek, non-greasy finish with a perfect shine that you won’t get from sissy hair gels
- Formulated with a natural, long-lasting clean scent and a manly, pheromone boosting serum to ensure that you stay dangerously sexy
- Acts as an anti-frizz detangler and moisturizer; Has volumizing properties to thicken hair, making your look smoother than ever—the ladies will love it
- Restores and rebuilds hair follicles to increase hair growth, whether you have curly, wavy, or straight hair
- Try our styling cream (matte finish, strong hold), forming clay (sleek finish, stronger hold), and clear pomade (blends smoothly, medium hold); 3 bold hair products that will change your mane forever
Save a little dough and buy a three-pack of the Suavecito Pomade for a total of 12 ounces in smart little jars. The water-soluble pomade offers a nice stronghold for handsome locks without the hassle. It works like a wax but washes out like a gel for all ease and flexibility without the mess.
Get a firm grip over unruly locks with this cowboy ready ointment. It works for all hair textures, but this works best in dry hair – especially in blow-dried hair – comb it in to your hair for a sturdy grip for the entire day. All this, and you get a moderate shine for a more natural appearance.
It’s easy to apply to dry hair, though you can apply to wet hair if you want a little extra shine, but it won’t hold as well with wet hair. Place a quarter-sized amount in your palm and rub through your hands and fingers, then work into your hair with your fingertips from the roots up. Make sure you get a seven distribution by combing and then set in your favorite style. You can wash out with water or shampoo and uses all-natural ingredients.
- BUNDLE PACK PURCHASE (SET OF 3). Save time and money when ordering this three (3) pack of Suavecito Pomade Firme (Strong) Hold. Stock up for yourself, or grab some for you friends. Your crew will be left looking nothing but handsome, with none of the hassle.
- WATER SOLUBLE AND COMBS WITH EASE. Style your hair without frustration. This pomade wears like a wax, but the water soluble formula washes out like a gel. Suavecito Pomade Firme (Strong) Hold combs in with ease and provides a sturdy grip for maximum styling flexibility and less scruffy mess.
- STRONG GRIP. The ultimate pomade for long or short hair of all textures, a the strong grip makes it perfect hair product every time. Blow your hair completely dry for hold like a 90 weight wax or towel dry your hair for hold like a 30 weight wax. Control even the curliest hair with this firme hold. Used in barbershops nation wide, and trusted by professionals.
- MODERATE SHINE. This moderate shine pomade has an easy creamy consistency. Whether you’ve just sat for some new ink or you’ve had a long day working on your car, you’ll be left feeling put together with your healthy, strong hair.
- COMMUNITY TRUSTED. Inspired by men and women who love motorcycles, custom cars, and tattoos, we know how important it is to get their trust, and we did. Suavecito prides itself on community and quality. Made 100% in the USA.
Volcanics brand pomade uses natural beeswax, bentonite clay, and aloe leaf juice for an all-natural cream for your hair. It’s made in small handmade batch in San Francisco with top quality ingredients to help you control your health without outsourcing for those concerned about shopping locally. Also, it come-on a brown glass jar to keep quality longer without access to the sun.
Get a medium hold for your hair with the natural masculine scent of sandalwood and cedarwood oils. You also don’t need to worry about creepy chemicals as they don’t use any, nor do they use parabens, artificial additives, coloring, or chemical fragrances. It’s the perfect choice for health and environment-conscious families though it does cost a bit more than most of the other brands its well worth it for four ounces of natural control for unruly hair.
Though the ingredients aren’t organic, you can actually read every word on the label and understand what it is (if you know the Latin names for plants). The pomade gives medium hold and works best in wet or damp hair if you want a matte look. Use on dry hair for more shine and comb through for higher hold or a more sophisticated style. It will last all day by applying just once in the morning. Though, you may need to remix the ingredients before using.
- Natural Beeswax, Bentonite Clay and Aloe Leaf Juice Pomade
- Handmade in Small Batches in San Francisco, CA
- Masculine Sandalwood and Cedarwood oil scent
- Non-Toxic, Free of Harsh Chemicals, Parabens, Artificial Additives, Coloring and Fragrances
- Sustainable plastic-free packaging
Prospectors Coal Mine Pomade offers you a matte finish using clay, but the reason you will want to buy this because it comes in a 15-ounce container. That’s around six months or longer before you have to buy another jar of hair pomade depending on how much you use at one time. The ointment comes in a water-based clay to make it easy to wash out.
If you want a matte finish and medium hold all day long, this is the product for you as it provides a natural, casual look. It also comes with hemp oil for conditioning and strength, but you may not want to use this if you are active duty. For those men who like a purposely messy or textured finger-style look, this is the right pomade for you.
The cream comes with a slice manly scent that will keep you smelling good all-day and comes with a hint of matcha green tea, citrus, and cedar for a significant scent others will love. Just apply a little to your hands to soften and then run your fingers through your hair and comb or style as you usually do. Enjoy handsome hair without the extra work required with gel or hairspray.
- Water based clay
- Matte finish
- Medium all day hold
- Natural casual look
- Fortified with hemp oil for hair conditioning and strength
Classic men need a classic pomade like the one made by 18.21, which comes in a sweet tobacco scent to. It’s a medium hold, high shine pomade to help you scalp your hair into a classic, refined do. The high shine will last all day long and uses a water-soluble blend of ingredients to keep your hair top-notch.
The blend includes wax and elastic fibers to tame your locks by refining and separating the hair for a frizz-free experience whether you want your hair shaped in modern or vintages styles. It’s also paraben-free to avoid flakes, grease, and toxins. After applying, you can still mold your hair as it stays malleable and touchable without stiffness so you can restyle all day long.
A masculine aroma provides a gentle scent of saffron, dried fruits, tonka beans, Manuka honey, dark vanilla, sweet tobacco, wood, and a hint of powdery musk. The pomade works for any hair texture and comes in a two-ounce jar, but you only need a pinch to get your hair under control. Comes with quality ingredients without creepy chemicals, so it may nourish your hair as well!
- SHAPE AND REFINE HAIR: This is a water-soluble blend of wax and elastic fibers that tames texture. It will let you refine or separate hair for frizz-free modern and vintage hairstyles. It is paraben-free and won’t leave a greasy or flaky feel.
- ALL-DAY, FLEXIBLE HOLD: With a superior formula, this men’s pomade offers a long-lasting medium grip for shaping that provides touchable, malleable control. Strands will not become too stiff, allowing you to restyle your hair throughout the day.
- IDEAL FOR SMOOTH, SLEEK STYLES: Our high-quality pomade works best for short and medium-length hair, and it’s great for straight, wavy, or curly hair. This is a perfect product for classic, structured styles for high shine and smoothness.
- EASY TO USE: The pomade gel easily scoops out of the jar to allow you to comb through hair, increase definition, and mold to your liking. Add more pomade to dry hair to increase grip and shapeable texture. When done, simply rinse out with warm water.
- A MANLY, SEXY AROMA: Featuring our signature sweet tobacco scent, our male styling product leaves a lasting impression. Characterized by hints of saffron, honey, dark vanilla, exotic woods, and powdery musk, its mellow and unique smell is sure to turn heads.
Questions About Pomade for Men
Why aren’t there any oil-based pomades on this list?
Oil-based pomades can have a detrimental effect on your hair follicles, which is why they should be used sparingly on not at all. This is the reason we decided not to add them to this list. They can often be more difficult to remove from hair and can actually result in hair loss as it can make your hair follicles go dormant and even die.
Water-soluble pomades may not have quite the same hold but also will not damage your hair or stop the growth of hair. Even if the petroleum-based pomades don’t cause you to lose your hair, you do not want petroleum seeping into your skin. Finally, water-based pomades smell better and wash out easier than their counterparts.
Mind you, no research confirms petroleum-based gel causes problems as no one has done a study. But petroleum does act as a protectant, and may also cause problems by not allowing your head to breathe, which could make your head sweaty and uncomfortable as well. If you do use a petroleum try and use a white petroleum as its better for your skin.
How can I get less shine?
If you want less shine, you need to pick a matte finish or use on dry hair and sparingly. Pomade (for most brands) gives more shine with damp hair and depending on the ingredients. Blow-dry your hair before applying if you want to reduce the shine even further. If later you want to reactivate it, add some more water but know that you may reactivate the shine too.
Can I use pomade on my beard and mustache?
Yes, but it will not work as well as a beard oil or a specific beard pomade. Mustache and beard hair is often wiry and more difficult to manage than the hair on your head. Also, facial hair is on top of you, your face! Your face has different needs than your scalp and is more likely to break out than the top of your head!
However, if you get a gentle, all-natural, or organic brand, you could certainly try it with caution and see if it works for you. Another thing to consider when using a pomade for facial hair is the scent. You may not want a stronger smell so close to your face!
What’s the best way to use pomade for my hair?
It’s best to start with clean hair. From there, you can apply wet for more shine or on dry hair for a more matte finish. Make sure your hands are dry or just slightly damp and put a quarter size of pomade in your palm and rub around your hands and fingers. Now starting at the roots, massage the pomade into the base of your scalp and up to the top of your hair strands. Then style normally.
If you have problems getting the paste spread evenly, then try using a comb to get the paste spread more evenly and remove excess from your locks. Those with oily hair may want to start a little higher than the roots of their hair to prevent grease on grease action. The great thing about pomade is you can reactivate it later in the day with a little water or with just the tiniest amount of extra pomade.
For specific styles, you can check on Youtube for videos. Most people can handle a simple side part or slick back, but other styles can be more difficult to accomplish. Keep trying or even ask your stylist for help at your next haircut.
If you need help figuring out how to style your hair with pomade, this video will help:
Wrapping Up Pomade for Men
If you want your options narrowed down even further, consider trying the Volcanics Clay Pomade first as it’s the most nourishing for your scalp and completely free of creepy chemicals. Bentonite clay helps to remove impurities that could be blocking your hair growth, while beeswax can act as a protectant from the elements outside. All around, it offers the preferred matte finish and helps to soften your hair while still keeping it perfectly styled all day long.
Last Updated on