Top Tens Units Reviewed
Pain is an important bodily response. It tells your bodies that all is not as it should be.
It’s pain that teaches us at a very young age which activities are safe and which activities are risky. All those bumps, scrapes and boo-boos may cause us red faces and tears when we’re tiny, but they help us grow into healthy, aware and duly cautious adults.
When we reach our adult years, however, we don’t really have all that much need for pain, especially in the relatively cosseted confines of the modern world. Yet, whether we want it or not, we all feel pain’s intrusive presence in our lives. Sometimes it’s fleeting, other times it’s persistent and distracting.
From the persistent stomach cramps of period pain to the jarring pain of sciatica, many of us can find pain very distracting and in some cases it can even be temporarily debilitating. Some people are happy to take prescription or over-the-counter painkillers to help them to deal with this pain, but those who eschew medication may prefer the therapeutic power of a TENS Unit.
What Is A TENS Unit?
A TENS (Trans-cutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) unit works by delivering a small current through the electrodes to the skin and tissues just beneath it. This essentially disrupts the electrical signal that is the pain impulse by delivering a painless sensation to the skin around the pain site.
Think of your pain as a cycle courier frantically pedaling it’s way down the high street of your nervous system to get to your brain. A TENS unit effectively sets up a roadblock that gets that cycle courier off their bike.
Proponents of TENS units find them effective in combating a range of different kinds of pain including;
- Back pain
- Muscle pain
- Arthritic and joint pain
- Carpal tunnels syndrome
- Period pain
- Some users even find it helpful in combating chronic pain.
Tens Unit Comparison Table
We go over each of the models in our roundup of Top Tens Units in detail below, but for those in a hurry here is a quick comparison of the products we looked at:
Best Tens Unit
While a TENS unit can be an effective way to fight many different kinds of pain, not all are created equal. Here we’ll look at the features and benefits of 5 of our favorites:
It’s portable, lightweight and given it is one of the lower priced units in our roundup it’s actually pretty darned cost-effective, too! The unit comes with 3 pairs of electrodes which are easy to place anywhere on the body for relief of joint pain, lower back pain, carpal tunnel pain etc.
The unit itself has a 3.75” LCD display which allows you to see which treatment cycle you are using and also has a battery power indicator. There are a total of 24 treatment cycles / massage modes from acupuncture and cupping to tai chi and reflexology. The electrodes offer good conductivity and are easy to place and the unit’s A & B output modes mean that 2 people in your household can use it simultaneously. The unit is powered by a lithium ion battery which gives around 20 hours of use per charge.
Best of all, this unit has a lifetime warranty, so you can enjoy medication free pain relief and relax in the knowledge that you’re covered should your unit malfunction.
Perfect for- Tens treatments of a wide range of pain, those with more than one user in the household, households on a budget.
- WHAT IS TECHCARE MASSAGER : It is a combination of TENS and PMS device. TechCare Massagers delivers low-voltage pulses to the skin to stimulate muscles.
- FEATURES : 24 preprogramed massage modes includes stimulation of Tapping, Acupuncture, Deep Tissue, Foot, Cupping, Combo. Adjustable 10 to 60 minutes timer by using " T " button, Press and hold the "M" button to go to the other modes faster. Rechargeable internal lithium battery. Up to 20 hours continues use. A-B Output will allow you to use it as 2 separate users.
- WHAT IS INCLUDED ? : 1x 2019 Newest Model Controller, 6 Large Electrodes ( Pads ), 2 Electrodes Cables, Belt Clip, User's Manual, Usb and Wall Charger, 1 Small Electrode Pad and Wire Holder, 1 Treatment Points Chart they all come with LIFE TIME LIMITED WARRANTY
- PAIN RELIEF: Techcare Massager Plus 24 TENS Unit contracts and releases muscles to stimulate different types of massages to relief pain without using drugs.
- WARRANTY: Techcare Massager backed up with Limited Lifetime Warranty and 30 Days Money Back Guarantee
A look at the unit and the sturdy case in which it is packages is enough to let anyone know that this unit means business. But does it stand up to the bold claims it makes?
The unit may look imposing, but beneath it’s gruff exterior is a nice user-friendly interface that’s easy and intuitive to use. The device can operate as an individual channel with 2 electrode pads or as a dual channel pain reliever with 4 pads. All you need to do is place your pads on the pain afflicted area and select your intensity level with the dual control knobs. Speaking of the pads, they offer clean contact with good adhesion on a range of surfaces including lower back, ankle and hand. The machine has a relatively modest array of pain therapy modes: Normal, Burst, Modulation, Strength Duration 1, and Strength Duration 2. These offer pretty much everything you could need no matter where your pain resides.
This machine does not have a lithium ion battery built in, although it does come with a 9-volt battery included which should last for around 48 hours of therapy. The hard carry case means that you can carry the unit around with you wherever you go.
Perfect for- Those with moderate pain relief who require prescription strength relief.
- NEED PRESCRIPTION STRENGTH PAIN RELIEF? A TENS unit muscle stimulator and electric massager that provides pain relief, acts as a muscle massager or shoulder massager, provides carpal tunnel relief, and acts as a muscle relaxer(great for muscle recovery)
- OVER 1M TENS 7000 DEVICES SOLD: A consumer over the counter favorite back pain relief device and a leader in physical therapy equipment for providing immediate and lasting drug-free muscle pain relief from back pain, neck pain, tennis elbow, and bursitis
- A LEADER SINCE 2008: A 10+ year favorite TENS device among medical professionals for delivering drug-free back pain relief as well as treating common ailments like neck pain, carpal tunnel relief, arthritis, shoulder, knee, elbow, leg and foot pain
- GET IMMEDIATE PAIN RELIEF: TENS machine comes with multiple TENS therapy modes that will provide instant muscle pain relief. An electrotherapy machine with everything needed for TENS therapy, a class leader in electric massagers for muscles
- DUAL CHANNEL TENS UNIT: The TENS 7000 TENS unit provides TENS therapy and is a muscle stimulator, nerve stimulator, and electric massager with independent dual channels that control four(4) TENS unit pads (electrodes) for targeted pain relief
Nursal’s TENS unit is pocket sized and portable, yet effective in delivering targeted pain relief and massage. This is the perfect TENS machine for those who want on-the-spot pain relief and muscle relaxation in the lower back area like those who are seated or driving for long periods of time.
The LCD screen allows for easy setting and programming and pain relief can be delivered in timed increments of up to an hour. With 8 reusable self-adhesive pads you can also enjoy targeted pain relief in multiple areas at the same time.
The unit also has a built in lithium-ion battery which when fully charged will give up to 10 hours of continuous pain relief.
Perfect for- Those experiencing joint pain, lower back pain, stiffness and inflammation. Office workers and those who spend a lot of their day sitting. Those who drive for long hours.
- Safe, Non-invasive and Non-medicinal Pain Relief - The NURSAL TENS unit muscle stimulator uses electronic pulses to stimulate muscles via multi-preprogrammed massage modes that provide pain relief and soothe muscle stiffness, just as a real human massage does. People with back pain, neck pain, arthritic or inflamed discs/ joints, shoulder tension and many more injuries and disabilities can benefit from using this TENS device/ muscle massager.
- Built-in Powerful Rechargeable Lithium Battery - A built-in battery provides up to 20 hours of continuous use, and a rechargeable TENS unit means you don't need to worry about those dead AA batteries anymore! In addition, a battery level indicator reminds you when charging is needed so you never run out of power.
- 8 Strong Self-Adhesive and Thicker Reusable Electrode Pads - The NURSAL electrode massager comes with 8 self-adhesive reusable conductive pads, a comprehensive adhesive layer on the pad can be stuck more firmly onto the skin when used. In addition, different sized electrodes meet the needs of using it on different parts of the body, and this EMS muscle stimulator features a simultaneous dual output design, allowing for 6 pads to be applied to two different targeted areas at the same time.
- Conveniently Pocket-sized & Free Dust-proof Pouch - This TENS machine come with a dust-proof pouch, and is portable and convenient to take with you so you can enjoy a relaxing massage anytime, anywhere! Indeed, it is small enough to fit into your pocket but powerful enough to bring you total body relaxation: use it for the back, knees, shoulder, ankles, wrists, and elbows, and make this the most powerful weapon in your fight against chronic pain!
- Limited Lifetime Warranty - The NURSAL TENS UNIT is backed up by a limited lifetime warranty and 1-year money-back or replacement guarantee.
This unit delivers a combination of TENS and EMS designed to eliminate joint pain and encourage the flow of our own natural painkillers endorphins. It also used EMS muscle stimulation to build and strengthen muscle tissue around the joints to lend them strength and support to lessen the stress on joints, bones and connective tissues.
iReliev’s entry into the list has an elegant, no-frills design and a simple interface with an LED screen that gives you total control over what you’re doing. The unit offers a wide range of presents including 6 EMS modes for muscle conditioning, 7 TENS modes for pain relief and 1 that is geared specifically towards arthritis.
All modes offer adjustable intensity with 25 intensity settings, in accordance with your pain and treatment cycles of up to 60 minutes. Dual channel technology allows you to choose between the use of 1-2 large pads or 3-4 small pads at the same time.
Perfect for- Arthritis sufferers or anyone experiencing joint pain and stiffness.
- 2 in 1: iReliev TENS + EMS Combination Unit Combines Two Therapies in 1 device.
- WHAT IS TENS?: Stands for "Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation"- a safe, non-invasive, drug free method of pain relief used by Physical Therapists and prescribed Doctors for over 30 years. The iReliev Bundle delivers low-voltage pulses to the skin to stimulate nerve fibers effectively blocking the pain signal to your brain. Also increases natural endorphins--a natural pain reliever. You can say GOODBYE to those pain pills that have been dulling your life!
- 14 Therapy Modes: 7 TENS Pain Relief Modes, 1 Arthritis TENS Mode & 6 EMS Muscle Strength & Recovery Modes
- WHAT IS EMS? : Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS) also known as nueromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) is the elicitation of muscle contraction using electrical impulses. EMS has the potential to serve as a strength training and rehab tool as well as offer post-exercise recovery benefits for athletes.
- Features: 25 levels of 80 mA intensity, 5-60 minute adjustable timer, lock function, dual channel versatility, portable design!
The LED display and easy controls are similar to other entries on this list, as are the range of presets. This unit offers an impressive 16 different modes which are designed to electrically simulate a range of complementary therapies such as acupuncture, cupping, knocking, tapping and deep penetrating shiatsu massage. The unit comes with 4 self-adhesive conductive pads which you’ll have no problem attaching to the lower back, hands, feet, wrists, ankles or anywhere you may have need of them.
The unit has a lithium-ion battery and comes with a USB charger and plug adapter so that you can use and charge the unit while working, in the car or pretty much anywhere where there’s a USB port.
Perfect for- Those who need fast, effective pain and tension relief on the go.
- The perfect tens machine PAIN RELIEF device by sending electrical pulses through electrodes placed on the skin to underlying nerve fibers,it can help to ease the sub-health, relieve tiredness and shoulder tension, improve sleeping quality and activate collaterals to relief your body pain.
- Simultaneous dual output design for two person or two different body areas, you can use "+" button increases intensity or "-"button decreases intensity of mode. Tens unit muscle stimulator is designed with double wire set and double plug hole, so you can use 4 size pads in single time(eg.4 middle size pads). Note: It is better to use same size in one wire because different size pads output different strength.
- Designed with 16 rectangle preprogrammed massage modes：16 modes totally: Knocking, Acupuncture,Cupping,Tapping,Shiatsu-Deep,Sensitive Parts Massage Mode. 2-4 massage methods under each mode.16 modes totally.
- Reusable TENS Pads: The included electrode pads can provide excellent self-stick performance for up to 20 to 30 uses. These pads are 1mm thicker than classic pin-style one, can stick to your skin more firmly. They're also conveniently pre-gelled, just add a few drops of water on the pads will increase their longevity, providing reliability you simply can't find anywhere else.
- Easy to control and animated backlit LCD Display: Massage mode, 20 level of strength and 10-60 minute timer default timer: 20 minutes. no matter in daylight or dark ,you can easily control it. Besides, rechargeable internal lithium battery - up to 10 hours of continuous use. And PAIN RELIEF device is recharging like a cell phone, just connecting it to wall outlet or any USB port to charge.
Tens Unit Explainer Video
Here is a YouTube video explaining how a tens unit can help alleviate pain:
With so many great TENS machines on the market, many of which also offer massage through EMS there’s no need to live with the cycle of stress, tension and pain any longer.
Last Updated on